UK Register of Toxicologists
The UK Register of Toxicologists is a Special Interest Group of the Royal Society of Biology and provides professional recognition for toxicologists with suitable qualifications and experience. The Register thereby fosters competence in practice and makes publicly available authoritative sources of information on toxicological matters. The attainment of registration is seen as a significant milestone in a career in toxicology and is increasingly desirable for career progression. The designation “Registered Toxicologist” is not lightly given and has to be maintained by annual CPD and regular (5 yearly) review of continuing education and practice in toxicology.
Members of the UK Register of Toxicologists gain automatic membership of the EUROTOX Register of Toxicologists and are entitled to use ERT as a post nominal.
The UKRT publishes a newsletter and the latest one is available here
Applying for the UK Register of Toxicologists
To apply to join the UK Register of Toxicology you must be of good professional standing and have:
- An honours degree in a relevant science (taken over a minimum 3 year period from a UK University or its equivalent); or DIBT, DRCPath, DABT or equivalent qualification
- And at least 5 years subsequent relevant toxicological experience
- And evidence of current engaged in the practice of toxicology
In addition, you must support your application with evidence of suitability to join the register. The minimum requirement is to provide details of 12 months’ relevant Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities prior to submission of an application. This information should be entered on the “Application Statement” page on the online application form. Advice on the types of activity which are acceptable may be obtained from the Register Administrator.
Applicants must name two senior toxicologists as referees who are familiar with their work. At least one of these should be a European Registered Toxicologist (i.e. UK Register or EUROTOX). If you do not know any registered toxicologist contact the Register Administrator who will advise you. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that these references are sent to the Register Administrator in time to meet the assessment deadline.
The Panel of the UKRT usually convenes in January, May and September each year: applications for membership of the register must be received one month in advance.
The next Panel meeting is in April 2017 and the closing date for applications is 20th March.
Members of the UK Register of Toxicologists are also entered onto the Register of the Association of European Toxicologists and European Societies of Toxicology (EUROTOX) and are entitled to use the designation ERT after their name.
- Fee for first time applications - £100
- Annual Retention Fee - £50/year. Use discount code UKRT2 when registering during the transition. The 5 yearly re-registration is free provided you have paid the retention fee for that year. Automatic reminders will be sent and payment will be by credit/debit card through the website
- Application and re-registration fees are for Panel review of the application, they are payable in advance of the review and non-refundable
- Existing Register member’s transferring on onto the Royal Society of Biology UKRT will pay their £50 retention fee for 2014 at the time of transfer
For updates and opportunities for UKRT members, please see the UKRT webpage.
Download guidance notes on recording CPD and reflective notes.
Further information and examples of recording CPD in both the Excel spreadsheet format and on the Society's online CPD system can be found in the Examples guidance document. Please note this document provides applicants who are applying for re-registration to the UKRT with examples from a real CPD record. The examples provided should indicate the range of CPD activities expected of applicants and how reflective notes are compiled. This is a guidance document only and should not be used as a template.
Please be aware that applicants who are re-registering must include reflective notes for their CPD activities. Applicants are not required to provide their reflective notes in supplementary documents, however, you are welcome to do so if you feel it will strengthen your application.
Please login to access the registerForgotten password